Is Your Furnace Blowing Cold Air?
There are many reasons why a furnace blows cold air. Some of the most common causes are surprisingly simple, while others require the help of an HVAC pro to sort out. As frustrating as this may be, the answer may be a simple fix. If a furnace blowing cold air has you stumped, here are some situations that might explain what’s going on:
- Its normal – If you’re only getting a bit of cold air when your furnace first kicks on, but the air after a few minutes in is nice and warm, you’re likely just fine. Think of it like turning on a hot water tap. The same effect happens with your furnace. It must push out the cold air from the vents before the warm air can come.
- Thermostat – If there’s a constant flow of cool air coming from your furnace, you probably have your thermostat set incorrectly. When you turn your furnace on for the first time, be sure that the fan is set to “auto” and not “on.” When your fan is set to “auto,” it will only come on when the furnace is on, instead of running all of the time.
- Pilot light – If your furnace is only blowing cold air, your pilot light may be out. Double check your pilot light, and if it’s gone out, relight it. If you have to keep relighting your pilot light, contact a heating professional for an expert diagnosis.
- Dirty sensors – If your furnace starts out warm but turns cold quickly, you could be dealing with a dirty flame sensor. A dirty flame sensor tells the furnace to turn off the burner, thus resulting in cold air after it’s initially warm. It’s best to call a heating professional to clean the sensor. Making sure to have annual furnace maintenance performed will help you avoid this issue in the future.
- There’s a more technical problem. If your gas furnace blows cold air, and you haven’t identified one of the above common reasons as the cause, it’s likely caused by an issue that your HVAC tech can easily address, such as a malfunctioning circuit board or a faulty igniter.
If the furnace in your Westchester area home is blowing cold air and you need assistance, contact us at Petroleum Kings. We’re available on the phone by dialing 914-576-4040, online at our website, and across social media.
Tags: Diesel Fuel Delivery Hartsdale, Diesel Fuel Delivery Mamaroneck, Diesel Fuel Delivery New Rochelle, Diesel Fuel Delivery Scarsdale, Diesel Fuel Delivery Westchester County, Diesel Fuel Delivery White Plains, Diesel Fuel Delivery Yonkers, Energy Conservation Tips for Earth Day, Heating Oil Mamaroneck, Heating Oil New Rochelle, Heating Oil Scarsdale, Heating Oil Westchester, Heating Oil Westchester County, Heating Oil White Plains, Heating Oil Yonkers, Oil Delivery Mamaroneck, Oil Delivery New Rochelle, Oil Delivery Westchester County, Oil Delivery Yonkers, Oil Westchester
Posted in About Us, Electricity, Fuel, Heating and Cooling Equipment, Heating Oil, HVAC, Saving, Service, Tips |